Applications are welcomed from Swimmers from across Scotland who would like to join the school in to S3, S4, S5 or S6. Many swimmers have benefitted from the programme including Olympic Silver Medallist in 2012: Michael Jamieson.
“I was only 12 when I decided I wanted to go to the School of Sport. It’s a great school and I encourage anyone to give it a shot, because it absolutely helped me prepare for my life as an athlete and beyond it as well.” - Michael Jamieson
The swim programme focuses on the development of stroke technique and the acquisition of swimming skills to improve performance in the water. In years S3 and S4 swimmers will focus on specific event training, whilst during years five and six individual training plans will be developed to meet each swimmers competition calendar, in conjunction with the club coach.
The School of Sport Swim Programme is in partnership with the City of Glasgow Swim Team which enables each swimmer’s school training to be fully complemented by a club-led competition programme with regular participation in races at the highest appropriate levels. Training is at Tollcross Swimming Centre with access to both short and long course. All swimmers joining the School of Sport must either be current members of the City of Glasgow swim team, or become a member if they are successful in their application.
The aims of the coaching programme are:
• To provide a secure and enjoyable coaching environment that promotes good practice and aids swimmers to make significant improvements.
• To ensure long term development of the swimmer by providing a balanced academic and training timetable, to guarantee the best possible balance of training time, study, rest and recovery.
• To assist with the setting of realistic and attainable short, mid and long-term
goals and to ensure that each swimmer develops the required physical, technical, tactical and psychological skills in order to reach their full potential.
• To encourage and guide swimmers towards greater success by the planning and evaluation of performance in training and racing.
• To ensure that all our aspiring performers receive the very best coaching, training, and mentoring by regularly reviewing and updating our training and coaching methods, allowing them to reach their full sporting and academic potential without compromise. Read on for more information on our Swimming Programme...
Please note that you may require Flash Player to access the video content on this website. You can download Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe Website.
Please note that you may require a PDF Reader to access some hyperlinks and documents. You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader from the Adobe Website.
Please note that this site has been optimised for a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.